CHEER AUDITION FORMAT
Saturday: Check in will begin at 7:30 am. In order to try out, you must have all required forms and payment. We will begin by reviewing all game day material (chants, fight song, and band dances) then transition into the standing tumbling and running tumbling portion of tryouts. After a 45 minute lunch break, we will continue with stunts and more tumbling. There will be a cut following day one of tryouts approximately 2 hours after we finish.
Game day material
· Chant 1: “We are Houston” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· Chant 2: “U of H” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· Chant 3: “Go Coogs Go!” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· U of H Fight Song (Knowing the words is part of your audition; click here!)
Cougars fight for dear old U of H
For our Alma Mater cheer.
Fight for Houston University
For victory is near.
When the going gets so rough and tough
We never worry cause we got the stuff.
So fight, fight, fight for red and white
And we will go to victory.
Game day dance
· Land of 1000 dances
(Female athletes will need to have the following skills)
Jumps to tumbling
· Jumps to tuck or higher
· Jumps to back handspring back or higher
NOTE: You may do up to three whipped jumps before your tumbling
· Option 1: Standing back handspring back or higher
· Option 2: Standing back handspring back or higher
· Option 1: Running round off back tuck or higher
· Option 2: Running round off back handspring back or higher
All GIRL TOP GIRL:
· Option 1: Any toss stunt with double down from a stretch, scorpion or arabesque
· Option 2: Any flipping stunt with a double down preferably a different body position
ALL GIRL BASE/ BACK SPOT:
· Option 1: Any toss stunt with a double down
· Option 2: Any flipping stunt with any dismount
· Option 3: Any game day two man stunt
Example for all girl stunt sequences:
You may do a ball up stretch hands full a round arabesque double down for your first optional stunt; then do a full up yoyo to a rewind stretch double down. (Not limited to these skills)
· Option 1: Toss chair, toss hands and a walk-up
· Option 2: Any optional stunt with full/ double down
· Option 1: Toss chair, toss hands and a walk up
· Option 2: Any optional stunt with any dismount
Example for large coed stunt sequences:
You may do a toss to hands awesome back to hands arabesque full/double down; then a low to high corkscrew full up stretch full/double down. (Not limited to these skills)
NOTE: These are just examples and you may make up any stunt sequence with up to two main stunts with any transitions you choreograph.
Stunts you can include for all girl and coed:
· Partner stunts: Toss or walk up
· Quick tosses: Straight toss, full ups, ball ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Tick Tocks: giddy ups, low to high, high to high (any of these can spin)
· Spinning: Full ups, handsor high to high full a round’s, 1 ½ ups, double ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Flipping: Front handspring ups, back handsprings, rewinds, and cartwheel ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Dismounts: cork screws, yoyos, straddle, full/double downs, etc.
Day Two: Sunday
Sunday will begin with an interview process, and continue with performing all game day dances, chants, running & standing tumbling and stunts.
Approximately 2 hours after we finish there will be an announcement of the new team via social media followed immediately by a team meeting.
FRONT VIEW OF FIGHT SONG:
BACK VIEW OF FIGHT SONG:
FRONT VIEW OF FIGHT SONG WITH MUSIC:
BACK VIEW OF FIGHT SONG WITH MUSIC:
LAND OF 1000 DANCES FRONT VIEW FAST:
NOTE: For the following videos we do not have a back view so please make sure to NOT mirror the motions.
WE ARE HOUSTON:
U OF H:
GO COOGS GO:
At this time we do NOT accept video auditions UNLESS THERE IS AN EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE.
- Certain arrangements may be made to accommodate seniors trying out that may have a conflict with prom or graduation obligations. Arrangements MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE with the head cheerleading coach, Amy Weaston at email@example.com.
- We are looking for strong female and males to make up our team. Numbers vary year to year on gender and numbers depending on the talent level that is trying out.
- EVERYONE is required to pay the audition fee on Saturday to be allowed to audition for this season.