CHEER AUDITION FORMAT
For information on sending video auditions in, please CLICK HERE.
Game day material
· Chant 1: “We are Houston” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· Chant 2: “U of H” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· Chant 3: “Go Coogs Go!” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· U of H Fight Song (Knowing the words is part of your audition; click here!)
Cougars fight for dear old U of H
For our Alma Mater cheer.
Fight for Houston University
For victory is near.
When the going gets so rough and tough
We never worry cause we got the stuff.
So fight, fight, fight for red and white
And we will go to victory.
Game day dance
· Land of 1000 dances
(Female athletes will need to have the following skills)
Jumps to tumbling
· Jumps to tuck or higher
· Jumps to back handspring back or higher
NOTE: You may do up to three whipped jumps before your tumbling
· Option 1: Standing back handspring back or higher
· Option 2: Standing back handspring back or higher
· Option 1: Running round off back tuck or higher
· Option 2: Running round off back handspring back or higher
SMALL COED TOP GIRL:
· Option 1: Any toss stunt with double down from a stretch, scorpion or arabesque
· Option 2: Any flipping stunt with a double down preferably a different body position
SMALL COED BASE/ BACK SPOT:
· Option 1: Any toss stunt with a double down
· Option 2: Any flipping stunt with any dismount
· Option 3: Any two man stunt (not required, but will help your score)
Example for small coed stunt sequences:
You may do a ball up stretch hands full a round arabesque double down for your first optional stunt; then do a full up yoyo to a rewind stretch double down. (Not limited to these skills)
LARGE COED TOP GIRLS:
· Option 1: Toss chair, toss hands and a walk-up
· Option 2: Any optional stunt with full/ double down
LARGE COED BASES:
· Option 1: Toss chair, toss hands and a walk up
· Option 2: Any optional stunt with any dismount
Example for large coed stunt sequences:
You may do a toss to hands awesome back to hands arabesque full/double down; then a low to high corkscrew full up stretch full/double down. (Not limited to these skills)
NOTE: These are just examples and you may make up any stunt sequence with up to two main stunts with any transitions you choreograph.
Stunts you can include for Small and Large Coed:
· Partner stunts: Toss or walk up
· Quick tosses: Straight toss, full ups, ball ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Tick Tocks: giddy ups, low to high, high to high (any of these can spin)
· Spinning: Full ups, handsor high to high full a round’s, 1 ½ ups, double ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Flipping: Front handspring ups, back handsprings, rewinds, and cartwheel ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Dismounts: cork screws, yoyos, straddle, full/double downs, etc.
Second round may include everything that you did in round 1 of auditions including an interview process. We will perform all game day dances, chants, running & standing tumbling and stunts.
FRONT VIEW OF FIGHT SONG:
BACK VIEW OF FIGHT SONG:
FRONT VIEW OF FIGHT SONG WITH MUSIC:
BACK VIEW OF FIGHT SONG WITH MUSIC:
LAND OF 1000 DANCES FRONT VIEW FAST:
NOTE: For the following videos we do not have a back view so please make sure to NOT mirror the motions.
WE ARE HOUSTON:
U OF H:
GO COOGS GO:
At this time we do accept video auditions, and packets are due no later than June 23rd at 5:00 PM. For more information about video auditions click here. Videos will need to include an introduction. Please see the link for all info.
- Certain arrangements may be made to accommodate seniors trying out that may have a conflict with prom or graduation obligations. Arrangements MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE with the Director of The Spirit of Houston, Marc Martin at email@example.com
- We are looking for strong female and males to make up our team. Numbers vary year to year on gender and numbers depending on the talent level that is trying out.
- EVERYONE is required to pay the audition fee on Friday to be allowed to audition for this season.