Cheer Leading at the University of Houston!
2016-2017 CHEERLEADER TRYOUT INFORMATION
University of Houston Tryouts
WHEN: MAY 20th, Check-in at 6:30pm begin at 7:00 PM-9:30 PM
MAY 21st, Arrive at 9:00am begin at 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM (May change depending on attendance), and
MAY 22nd, Arrive at 9:00am begin 10:00 AM – 2:30 PM (Outdoor try-out on the actual stadium field)
Team meeting will follow after announcing the new team
LOCATION: Bert F. Winston Band Complex (attached to TDECU stadium on Cullen Blvd)
If you are unable to attend tryouts, please contact Coach for further instructions.
All candidates will need the following:
· $50 non-refundable tryout fee (check or money order), payable to the University of Houston
· Signed tryout wavier
· Proof of admissions to the University of Houston http://www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/
ATTIRE: Wear red, white, or black colors for tryouts!
Females: Wear white t-shirts, red sports bras, black spankies/hotshorts, and a large white bow (you will be wearing sports bras and spankies 90% of the time). Hair needs to be half up in the back of the middle of your head with curls. All girls need to have game day make-up (heavy make-up) with red lips. No fake nails or colored nails!
Males: White t-shirt, black shorts, and shoes.
All Returners: Plain t-shirts and sports bras, no cougar cheer attire
.WE ARE LOOKING FOR THE SKILLS LISTED BELOW FOR LADIES.
GENTLEMAN IF YOU HAVE THESE SKILLS GREAT, IF NOT THAT’S FINE. WE NEED YOUR ATHLETICISM AND POSITIVE ATTITUDE!
Tryout Process (Round 1)
Videos will post May 16th
Game day material
· Chant 1: “Let’s Go Cougars” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· Chant 2: “U of H” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· Chant 3: “Go Coogs Go!” include stunts, jumps & standing tumbling
· U of H Fight Song (Knowing the words is part of your tryout; click here!)
Cougars fight for dear old U of H
For our Alma Mater cheer.
Fight for Houston University
For victory is near.
When the going gets so rough and tough
We never worry cause we got the stuff.
So fight, fight, fight for red and white
And we will go to victory.
Game day dance
· Land of 1000 dances will be taught at the tryout clinic May 20th
(Female athletes will need to have the following skills. Males need a positive attitude and spirit in their heart!)
Jumps to tumbling
· Jumps to tuck or higher
· Jumps to back handspring back or higher
NOTE: You may do up to three whipped jumps before your tumbling
· Option 1: Standing back handspring back or higher
· Option 2: Standing back handspring back or higher
· Option 1: Running round off back tuck or higher
· Option 2: Running round off back handspring back or higher
SMALL COED TOP GIRL:
· Option 1: Any toss stunt with double down from a stretch, scorpion or arabesque
· Option 2: Any flipping stunt with a double down preferably a different body position
SMALL COED BASE/ BACK SPOT:
· Option 1: Any toss stunt with a double down
· Option 2: Any flipping stunt with any dismount
· Option 3: Any two man stunt (not required, but will help your score)
Example for small coed stunt sequences:
You may do a ball up stretch hands full a round arabesque double down for your first optional stunt; then do a full up yoyo to a rewind stretch double down. (Not limited to these skills)
LARGE COED TOP GIRLS:
· Option 1: Toss chair, toss hands and a walk-up
· Option 2: Any optional stunt with full/ double down
LARGE COED BASES:
· Option 1: Toss chair, toss hands and a walk up
· Option 2: Any optional stunt with any dismount
Example for large coed stunt sequences:
You may do a toss to hands awesome back to hands arabesque full/double down; then a low to high corkscrew full up stretch full/double down. (Not limited to these skills)
NOTE: These are just examples and you may make up any stunt sequence with up to two main stunts with any transitions you choreograph.
Stunts you can include for Small and Large Coed:
· Partner stunts: Toss or walk up
· Quick tosses: Straight toss, full ups, ball ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Tick Tocks: giddy ups, low to high, high to high (any of these can spin)
· Spinning: Full ups, handsor high to high full a round’s, 1 ½ ups, double ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Flipping: Front handspring ups, back handsprings, rewinds, and cartwheel ups (any of these can go to two feet or pull through)
· Dismounts: cork screws, yoyos, straddle, full/double downs, etc.
Tryout Process (Round 2)
Second round may include everything that you did in round 1 of tryouts including an interview process. We will perform all game day dances, chants, running & standing tumbling and stunts on the TDECU football stadium May 22nd.
FRONT VIEW OF FIGHT SONG:
BACK VIEW OF FIGHT SONG:
FRONT VIEW OF FIGHT SONG WITH MUSIC:
BACK VIEW OF FIGHT SONG WITH MUSIC:
LAND OF 1000 DANCES FRONT VIEW FAST:
NOTE: For the following videos we do not have a back view so please make sure to NOT mirror the motions.
WE ARE HOUSTON:
U OF H:
GO COOGS GO:
We do accept video tryouts. Please email Coach at email@example.com to request a video tryout or earlier tryout as well as information regarding videos. Video tryout packets are due no later than May 19th at 5p via email or mail
Attn: Jasmine Arnold CHEER
Moores School of Music Bldg.
3333 Cullen Blvd. Room 120
Houston, TX 77204
Please include the following:
2. Application or Acceptance letter into the University of Houston Main Campus
3. $50 non-refundable check or money order
4. A passport style photo in color
1. Certain arrangements may be made to accommodate seniors trying out that may have a conflict with prom. Arrangements MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE with the HEAD COACH.
2. We are looking for 25 strong female and males to make up our scholarship team. Numbers vary year to year on gender and numbers depending on the talent level that is trying out.
3. While our main priority is game day cheerleading, we will also be judging with our competition team in mind. We will be competing at NCA college nationals in April.
4. EVERYONE is required to pay the tryout fee on Friday to be allowed to try out for this season.
If you have any other questions please feel free to contact Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Houston Cheerleading
The University of Houston is just a few minutes away from Downtown! We are close to all sporting events, such as, the Houston Texans, Rockets, Astros, and many more. Our school is one of the TOP TIER ONE universities in the country. At the end of your college career, EVERY cheerleader will be able to walk away from the cheer program with not only a degree that will guarantee them a job, but they will also walk away with new friends, family, spirit, pride, leadership and memories that will last them a lifetime.
What to expect when you become a University of Houston Cheerleader
University of Houston cheerleaders will attend the following sporting events:
- Home football games they seat 40,000+ fans
- Some will travel to away football games
- Football championships
- Men’s and Women’s basketball games
- Men’s and Women’s basketball tournaments
- Women’s volleyball games
- Select men’s baseball & women’s softball games
While our main priority is to support our athletic program, we alsohave responsibilities in the following areas for community outreach:
- High School pep rallies
- High School mentor meetings
- Community appearances
- Rodeo Parade
- MLK parade
- On campus orientations and appearances for different school events
- On campus pep rallies (Cat’s back, Ragin Cajun and Homecoming)
- Visit local Children’s hospitals
- Bear clinic (Our own little league clinic)
- College recruiting clinics
- Coaches radio shows
- Multiple TV appearances
The Spirit of Houston cheer team typically goes to 175+ appearances including games, pep rallies, and community events. At the end of each year we will have the chance to perform at NCA College Nationals, which is in Daytona Beach, FL that occurs in April every year.